Intro Download and install Frequently Asked Questions Tips and tricks

Homepage

© J.C. Kessels 2009
MyDefrag Forum
November 27, 2014, 04:45:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: NT4  (Read 9592 times)
lukeb

View Profile
NT4
« on: April 06, 2007, 02:12:13 pm »

Is JKDefrag also usable for a NT4 systems?

Luke Beelen
jeroen
Administrator
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 07:59:58 pm »

No. The program is based on the standard Microsoft defragmentation API, which is not available for NT4.
ArgoNavis

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 12:05:02 am »

Hello Jeroen,

Quote from: "jeroen"
No. The program is based on the standard Microsoft defragmentation API, which is not available for NT4.

I found this reference from Mark Russinovich about his Contig defragmenter:  http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/contig.mspx

Quote from: "Russinovich"
Contig works on NT 4.0 and higher. Contig can be used to defrag an existing file, or to create a new file of a specified size and name, optimizing its placement on disk. Contig uses standard Windows defragmentation APIs so it won't cause disk corruption, even if you terminate it while its running.

[...]

Contig uses the native Windows NT defragmentation support that was introduced with NT 4.0 (see my documentation of the defrag APIs for more information).

The reason I ask is that I still have a few NT4SP6a systems which I am forced to run, and I would dearly love to find a way to run jkdefrag.

If this is not possible, is there any chance you could give me any references to a lightweight and small-footprint defragger for occasional use?

Thank you very much for your time, and for jkdefrag!

AN.
jeroen
Administrator
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 06:53:12 am »

Quote from: "ArgoNavis"
The reason I ask is that I still have a few NT4SP6a systems which I am forced to run, and I would dearly love to find a way to run jkdefrag.

I have also read that the Microsoft defragmentation api first became available in a service pack for NT4. But I think it's incompatible with the later api that JkDefrag uses. I do not have access to an NT4 machine so I don't know for sure. Users have reported in the past that JkDefrag exits with an error message, so I have to tell people that JkDefrag does not work on NT4. I suspect it's just a single non-critical function call somewhere in the DefragOnePath() subroutine in the JkDefragLib.cpp source. Perhaps the function can be skipped. If you are proficient in C then perhaps you can take a look?

If this is not possible, is there any chance you could give me any references to a lightweight and small-footprint defragger for occasional use?

Perhaps somebody else can answer this, I don't know.
JDPower
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 07:38:13 am »

Um, you just mentioned one didn't you? (its as good as any and should work according to the quote):
I found this reference from Mark Russinovich about his Contig defragmenter:  http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/contig.mspx

Quote from: "Russinovich"
Contig works on NT 4.0 and higher. Contig can be used to defrag an existing file, or to create a new file of a specified size and name, optimizing its placement on disk. Contig uses standard Windows defragmentation APIs so it won't cause disk corruption, even if you terminate it while its running.

[...]

Contig uses the native Windows NT defragmentation support that was introduced with NT 4.0 (see my documentation of the defrag APIs for more information).
ArgoNavis

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 07:50:12 am »

Quote from: "JDPower"
Um, you just mentioned one didn't you? (its as good as any and should work according to the quote):

You're right, of course, that my question seems a bit strange in light of my reference to Contig.  It was my understanding, however, that Contig has a slightly more simplistic strategy than jkDefrag, and might not structure the disk in such a way as to keep the filesystem efficient after some amount of operation.

Other than that, Contig does seem to have the advantages of being simple and light-weight, and it may fit the bill in the absence of a more sophisticated solution.

AN.
cquinn
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
NT4
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 04:41:15 pm »

Contig does a simple defragment, but no file optimization.
It can be assisted by programs such as powerdefragmenter, which puts a gui front end on the program.

For further optimization you might also consider sysinternals pagedefrag, which will help defrag some system files that contig cannot touch (and the program should also still work on NT4).
boco
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
NT4
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007, 08:35:05 pm »

In version 1.2.0, Ultradefrag introduced full Windows NT4 support. It may not be as good as JKDefrag, but just try it yourself if you want.

http://ultradefrag.sf.net

[hint] It is OSS, maybe someone could take a look at the sourcecode? [/hint]

T  hi s    Sign  a tu  re   is  q   uit  e   sor   te d  -op tim i zed  b  y desi  gn   .
ArgoNavis

View Profile
NT4
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2007, 09:45:14 pm »

Quote from: "boco"
In version 1.2.0, Ultradefrag introduced full Windows NT4 support.

Excellent tip -- thank you very much!

AN.
duane

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2007, 01:14:12 am »

These is another alternative that I have been testing tonight.  If you have access to an XP or similar machine, install Bart PE (http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/) on it, then build a bootable disk on it with JKDefrag included.  Boot the target machine with it, then use it to defrag the drives.  I have been testing it on an old NT workstation with SP6a; it worked fine.  The machine I am testing had VERY heavily fragmented C: and D: drives (both NTFS) and cleaned right up.  This program doesn't have in installer, which makes it IDEAL for an application like this.

This old PIII-933 now starts up about 10x faster and all the apps are noticeably quicker.  I like this approach!

Cheesy

Thanks, Jeroen!
Lundholm
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2007, 12:56:12 pm »

I used the first free version of Diskeeper Lite (DKlite.exe) for years on NT4. There are still some references to it on the net, so you may be able to find it.

Cheers

"O, there has been much throwing about of brains." -- Guildenstern{alt. Gyldenstern[alt. Gyldenstjerne(anc. Gyllenstierna{knight of Lundholm})], knight of Hamlet}.
boco
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
NT4
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2007, 04:25:24 am »

Try http://www1.execsoft.com/dklite.exe

If it says something like 'Service unavailable' or 'Page not found', refresh the page until it works (11.85 MB).

T  hi s    Sign  a tu  re   is  q   uit  e   sor   te d  -op tim i zed  b  y desi  gn   .
ewieldra
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
NT4
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2007, 04:38:02 pm »

NT4 HuhHuhHuhHuh?

is it still used ..

it's approx.. 10 year old .. time to buy a new OS

Best Regards,

Emiel Wieldraaijer

Download JkDefragGUI from http://www.wieldraaijer.nl
kandro
JkDefrag Hero

MyDefragGUI at www.mydefrag.net

View Profile WWW
NT4
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2007, 01:05:01 pm »

Quote from: "ewieldra"
NT4 HuhHuhHuhHuh?

is it still used ..

it's approx.. 10 year old .. time to buy a new OS

I have still run even Windows NT 3.51 for tests.

It doesn't mtater, in wihch seqenuce the ltteres in wodrs aeappr. The mian pnoit is taht the frsit and the lsat lteter is crroect. The remnaider can be ttalloy wrnog neevrtehlses you can raed it withuot porbelms.
technut

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2011, 04:32:03 am »

With the new windows 7 operating system I have noticed a dump of *chk files that are fragmented left overs that aren't attributed to an other files.  These occur when the system is hard booted (no power) and the fragments are snippets of the program that was initialized during the period of no power.  Is there anything that will restore these to the correct program? Defrag just deletes them.  Thereby allowing some changed data to be deleted.

Get tanga deals for your sites and earn money from commissions while you are sharing fun with your site visitors.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: